Friday, February 16, 2007

So that's what wind tunnel tennis is like - neat

My first instinct is to say, "It wasn't really that bad." Looking at the scores and reactions from people, it could have been a lot worse. I am speaking of course about my school's match against ACU today.

I woke up and pulled back the blinds to see a dark, windswept day waiting for me. The weather finally warmed up (we tried to hit yesterday when it was 28 and I ended up with icicles in the facial hair) but the "warmth" was cancelled out by the 50 mph winds. I'm not joking. Look it up. I'm not even going to link it for you; you'll just have to trust me.

But it wasn't as bad as it could have been. They came, we played, they won, it was windy as SHIT, and that's really all there was to it. Not much controversy. We saw the #22 team in D II tennis and they were pretty stout, but not amazing. We had close doubles matches, some close singles matches, some blow out singles matches, but whatever. It's going to help us; just a shame that we had to put up with the worst conditions I've ever played in. The wind was so powerful that if you just drop-fed a ball to the other side of the court, it stood about a 90% chance of being blown onto the next court. If you didn't drive the ball with a lot of purpose, it would not go anywhere near the target. But I'm done talking about it.

Ivo Karlovic, 6'10'' dudemangus is beating people again. I remember when he knocked out Hewitt at Wimbledon in the first round in 2003. He hasn't really done much since then except slay random top 10 players. He is ranked 103rd in the world, but he's freaking tall! He can do what he wants.

Roddick took down Spadea, which is good because I hate Spadea and everything he does.

Bonnie DeSimone has a piece about Sam Querrey which may or may not be interesting - I didn't read it. I don't want to get depressed by reading about the amazing life of a 19-year-old pro tennis player. We'll see if the tennis media continues to build him up as the "next great American tennis player!!!" Yay!! I remember a lad named Donald Young from a couple of years ago that everyone was nutting over. What now? He never won a tournament?

Oh well. You probably don't care, but Bonnie DeSimone...I'm coming for you.

No comments: