Sunday, February 11, 2007

Davis Cup - doneski


A few of my predictions held up. My biggest mis-prognostication, if such a term exists, was the forecast of a Chilean upset of Russia. Didn't happen. That's OK though, because both teams have some amazing players, and I was just guessing that Fena's amazing run of late could blast Chile past Mother Russia. I like Safin too though, so whatever.

Some thoughts...
  • I'm glad that the USA played some nice tennis on clay for a change. Blake dropped his match which was disappointing, but Roddick showed us something in his win over Berdych. Apparently it was the first Davis Cup tie on clay that the US had won in 10 years. Impressive.
  • I watched most of the tie on the VS network - apparently that is what OLN turned in to when it died - and I must say that the tennis was good and the commentary sucked. Lief Shiras, you're on alert.
  • I liked how Roddick didn't let the clay phase him mentally; that's the key to being successful in ANYTHING, but especially clay court tennis. I know from experience too, because I played on some clay this weekend - sorry, no pics or highlights...check sportscenter though...
  • I will say this about that: Clay is not the most enjoyable surface to play on if you've played on hard courts your entire life, but as long as you just make up your mind that you're going to be OK, it doesn't matter that much. That's what all the Americans need to do at the French.

    Look at Nadal - he won the French and made the finals at Wimbledon because he did not care that he was playing on grass. Tennis is tennis, to an extent. You have to be able to move on different surfaces to be successful, and yes, Nadal is a great mover, but still, it's a lot more mental than anyone will admit.

    And I can't believe I'm linking to this but Peter Bodo makes a solid point with this.

    That's all for now. I'm going to go hit for a little bit. It's 70 degrees in Pueblo right now and the sky is blue (alright, partially blue) and it is amazing. BUT, it's going to be 30 degrees for the next three or four days and our huge opener is on Friday. I am really looking forward to not hitting for three days and then playing an amazing team from ACU. We're so screwed.

No comments: