Wednesday, February 14, 2007

No courts...no problem...jokin!

I should be studying for my Business Communications test right now, but in a few words I can accurately sum up my opinion of that class: F that shit.

That is also my opinion of the weather, which continues to be cold and depressing. Yesterday it was 9 or some ridiculous temperature like that. Today it was a little bit warmer (warmer, lol...) but it snowed most of the day. What snow is still on the ground is light and flaky, but it is snow nonetheless.

This brings me to the match update, and really the week so far.

  • Monday: Practiced for one hour in 38 degree weather. It was amazing. </sarcasm>
  • Tuesday: I cannot tell a lie. I didn't do anything. My legs hurt, it was about 10 degrees outside...yeah.
  • Today: Worked on a stationary bike for 30 mins at school, did some core stuff, flexibility work...what? Yep. Futile.
  • Thursday: We're going to squegee some tennis courts tomorrow in the hope that we can play Friday. This leads us to...
  • Friday: The forecast calls for 48 degrees and 40 mph winds. The coach's solution was to move the match up two hours, when it is just as windy but much colder. 12:30 is the start time, but I'm hoping I get a phone call at about 10 telling me to forget it. It's one of those things where you really hope things work out, but you know they probably won't, so avoiding the whole situation would just make life easier.
  • This all reminds me of a short exchange between me and Ricardo, the kid from Mexico on our team. He taps me on my shoulder in lab on Monday and says, "James, what will the weather be like this week? Will we get to practice?" I said, "Ah man I dunno, it's only supposed to be like 26 tomorrow." He gave me a confused look and said, "Twenty-six, umm, I don't know - what is that in Celsius?" I said, "That's like -2 degrees," and he just sat back and said, "Fawwwwwwwwwk."
  • I looked up the Puebla, Mexico forecast yesterday, and depite being over 7000 feet in elevation, the high for Tuesday was 70 degrees and the low was 58. Fahrenheit. LOVE IT

If you read this and wonder, "Well, dumbass, just go play indoors!" then I commend you for your sense of logic. Then I would remind you that Pueblo is a community that really possesses no logic. We have some indoor courts...at the Pueblo Country Club. Private party. Then there were some indoor courts at the state fair grounds, but as I think I mentioned earlier, they suck, and actually now they're shut down for the rest of the month. Our school doesn't have any tennis courts, indoor OR outdoor, so we are basically screwed if the weather keeps up its freezing ways.

Anyhow, there is some real news to attend to.

Mardy Fish is still playing good tennis. Andy Murray won in spite of himself. This was at the SAP Open...an indoor tournament! Gasp! Apparently Safin won as well.

  • It's nice to see Guga still being a bad ass. I will always root for a shaggy Brazilian. Look at that guy, it looks like he just walked up to the court and grabbed some random guy's racquet and started throwing down. What a man.

In other sports news, I find this to be a little bit funny. 18 games!! I feel so bad for Paul Pierce. The Celtics are tanking the shit out of their season to get a shot at Oden or Durant. Also, how old do you think this guy is??

Also, while I am loving the fact that Carmelo is averaging 30.8 ppg, 6.0 rebounds and 4.4 assists, I am not pleased that they lost to the T-Wolves tonight. I only put that on here because it's fresh in my mind. And because I wanted to. You get it. I also love this even though it's a little old...I was right in front of him when it happened, it was sick, and I wanted to put it up.



No comments: