Thursday, January 25, 2007

Federer ROLLLLLLS

I wasn't around yesterday, but I do have plenty of match updates, so let's just get to it.

  • Federer just beat the hell out of Roddick. 6-4, 6-0. 6-2 was the score, which is indeed a tremendous beat down. He outplayed, outhit, and generally outclassed Andy, which is no real surprise. I noticed that Roddick mentioned something about Federer "not widening the gap" between himself and other players recently, which I'm sure Federer saw and said "Oh reeeaallly..."

  • Gonzo...what!? He DOMINATED Nadal like I haven't seen before. He hit 41 winners to 14 for Nadal. He's got 76 aces in the tournament!? He's going to roll all over Haas and at least take a set from Fed.

  • No one has beaten Serena...yet. Sharapova had better pull through for me. I'm going to be upset if Williams manages to come through with a victory. Although I guess it would be a sweet moment for overweight athletes everywhere.

  • And a quick quip from Serena: "I'm like a chameleon. I can kind of change and get my game going to whatever the situation is." Ho k...if you say so. I hope she gets blown off the court. I guess if "changing your game" means getting let off the hook by nervous opponents match after match, then yes, you can adapt very well. If Vaidisova can win that set point at 5-4 in the first, you'd be doneski right now and complaining about the conditions. Whatever.

  • Also, Kim Clisters is retiring after this season, for those of you that didn't know. How crazy is that? 23 years old and just deciding to call it a career? Don't count on a comeback a la Martina Hingis either. I guess she just figured to hell with all the injuries and the training; just get married and chill for a while before figuring out how to spend her millions for the rest of her life. Tip of the cap to her then; wish I could do that.

No comments: