Sunday, January 21, 2007

believe the hype! i guess


Remember the "mojo" commercials that American Express threw together after Roddick started bombing out at every tournament he played? He was predictable - a big serve, some groundies, no volleys, nothing special beyond the power (which has always been there). Well, apparently Roddick is starting to figure out how to play tennis. I said I wanted Safin to beat him down a little bit, and he did...for a set. Roddick played well though! He was impressive in spots, dominant in others, and although Safin snuck out a set, Roddick deserved to win. His serve was overpowering, his groundstrokes were authoritative, and he was more creative with his approaches and volleys than I have ever seen him. It was intriguing. I was pretty glad that Safin got his outburst in too.

Nadal went from looking shabby to spectacular, which is good news for him and bad news for Andy Murray, he has to play him next. Murray is weird; he mopes around like a 12 year old on the court and yells at Brad Gilbert and never really looks like he's into the match at all, but he wins. He doesn't look like he should be a professional athlete of any kind at first, and he seems to be a little off the pace of play, but he's freaking good for some reason. That will be a nice little match though.

James Blake nailed Robbie Ginepri in straights today too. Blake is my favorite player on tour right now, so I was pleased with that. It's too bad that he had to dispose of Ginepri so early on though. I hope he gets back on track this year.

Back to Roddick for a minute though. I thought his match with Ancic might be even more difficult than the Safin match, because Safin is going to attack or miss, but Ancic is a little more pesky. He was. It's nice to see Mardy Fish in the QF at a grand slam now too. Actually it's just nice to see him anywhere. I remember back in 2003 when he had match points on Roddick in Cincinati but couldn't finish it. Roddick went on to win the Open and Fish has fizzled in the meantime. But that will be a fun match too.

Most pleasant upset of the day: I have actually never met anyone who enjoys Amelie Mauresmo. If you like her and you're reading this, my apologies. But since no one is reading this anyhow I can say what I want. I hope Serena Williams loses later today too. There are probably more arrogant and spoiled tennis players out there in the world, and there are certainly athletes who behave much worse (one Terrell Owens springs to mind) but there is something about the Williams sisters that just makes me irritated. It might have been the "Serena stare" from a few years ago (OMG!! I'm so intimidated!!) or it could be the abysmal attempts at making tennis and "fashion" meet halfway, but I am never upset to see them upset. BUT since their matches will always be featured on American television, I guess I'll have to live with it.

You'll have to forgive me for not updating on the entire Australian Open draw. I would love to have the time to break down all the men's and women's matches, but alas, I have other things to do, like sleeping, so here is the actual website for you to dissect at your own pace.

No comments: