Thursday, March 1, 2007

Love the midwest!!

Well after a 10-hour van ride (finally got a good seat), and stopping three times for gas and goodies and food, we finally got to Topeka. Apparently it started snowing in Colorado as soon as we left, so I knew what was coming. I watched a nice string of thunderstorms flashing all around us as we traversed Kansas, and then while we were sleeping it snowed. We have our first match tonight at 8 PM and were supposed to go practice at noon...unfortunately, since it's snowing, that probably won't be happening. We might go watch a different school's match at 11 just so we have something to do. But who knows. We might get blown away by a fresh tornado like part of Missouri did.
Interesting tidbit about the trip. Our van has a deadly spike coming through the back of one of the seats. Mitch cut his elbow on it a few times and then sliced his bag open yesterday. I told the school about it earlier in the week (since we took this van to the Academy) and they said they would fix it...obviously not.
I got lucky enough to get the kind of crappy room -- I am staying with two other guys and we are going to take turns sleeping on the roll-away bed. Hopefully it doesn't fold up on me while I'm sleeping tonight. It smells really weird in here too. Not sure why. I think it smells like feet, Kyle thinks it smells like a liter box, Mitch thinks it's a little bit fruity, like bad cologne, and Greg doesn't think it smells at all...

The worst part of the road trip is upon us now...we have nothing to do, nowhere to go, and we aren't playing until 8 PM tonight. It would be nice to get to practice in the low-altitude before we have to play tonight, but whatever happens I guess. I'm going to go watch Scrubs, maybe take a shower to kill some time, listen to the wind, play some PSP...something.
Final thought: The laptop is the ultimate comfort item on the road for me. It's perfect, because in theory, if you can acess the Internet, you can buy anything you forgot at home. I feel a little bit foolish sometimes because I have a lot of little tech toys I bring with me. There's the laptop, which is how I'm writing this, obviously; the PSP, the iPod, the digital camera, the cell phone. They're all little things though, and although I could easily live without them, Kansas becomes much better when you do have them.

No comments: