Wednesday, May 9, 2007

50th post, and it's USTA league time

Sorry for the posting lapse. A lot has happened in the past week or so.
  • The spring semester came to a close. Praise Jesus. Now only one month until I am in England, drinking a cider and checking out a foreign country. It is probably going to be the highlight of my life.
  • The RMAC season ended. I made the RMAC All-Academic team too, whatever that's worth. Wish it had been for some sort of tennis-related skill thing.
  • I've been sleeping in a bit and spending most of my days lounging.
  • I'm starting not to do that so much.
  • I caught a little cold. Start to get over that now.
  • I have rediscovered the simple pleasure of the frisbee.
  • The USTA league season kicked off last night. It was OK, but it reminded me why I hate the USTA. First of all, I was supposed to play 2 singles for my team -- a lineup of 1 and 2 singles and then three (3) doubles teams. My guy forfeited, for some reason. So I played with a high school kid while my team lost. Wah waaaaa...
  • I am working the girls' 4A state tennis tournament this Thursday-Saturday, so that should be interesting. State tennis was always a strange thing for me, but by the end of high school, I felt like I was bigger than high school tennis, or that I could at least wrap my head around it. I will never be able to do that with college tennis.

Anyhow, back to the USTA league for a minute. This guy on our team, Rob, showed up last night with 6 mini-water bottles with him, no racquets, no bag, nothing. He was like "Hey man!! What's up!? I haven't played for about 11 months -- this is gonna be crazy!" I said, "Dang, let's get you warmed up!" We got on court and within 5 minutes he was hitting as well as I was. What a stud. If I took 11 months off from the sport, it would take me another month just to get back to where I was. This guy is amazing though. He was a state champ in high school but then never played in college. Had he kept it up, he would be even more amazing. It's crazy how some people work. Some people are just wired for the game. I wish I was like that, but whatever. I'm not complaining about what I have. I'm looking forward to playing more with him for sure though.

No comments: